Think about it! How much do we really need?
More is a trap.
We are inundated with reality shows showcasing pretty faces and hard bodies appearing to having it all and living it up on a grand scale.
Making many of us feel like we’re missing out with our noses pressed against the windows of their fabulous lives.
Mammoth homes, toys and egos– a life nourished by BIG.
Where’s the balance? Is there balance?
Before you go there, I am not hating on those folks who can afford those things.
I am just wondering if their lives have harmony.
I am finding a greater peace in little things
And, a reminder that simple things are not simple, in the least!
They are truly meaningful and ignite my senses.
Sadly, we’ve continue to hear about celebs who took their lives.
We thought they had it all.
I always admired Anthony Bourdain. He had my dream job, traveling the world, eating and taking to locals along the way–enmeshing himself in the cultures with a respectful curiosity.
However, big wasn’t enough to defeat depression and suicide.
It’s really not about the scale of how we’re living….it’s about the scope
Knowing where to find joy that doesn’t cost a thing, teaches us appreciation.
We don’t always have to be wowed!!
Small is more self-contained; engageable and satisfying.
Here are some of the little things I love……….
- The gentle sound of wind chimes
- Birds chirping during a light rainfall
- Walking along the beach, on a hot day, in the rain or fluffy snow
- Savoring a new tea I recently bought called New York Chai. The shredded coconut, African Rooibos; ginger root, cinnamon and vanilla are so soothing.
- Seeing splashes of color in a flower garden and autumn leaves
- Listening to children’s unbridled laughter
- Listening to Real Jazz on Sirius XM Radio
- Finding cute home decor at Pier One that is fifty percent off
- The smell of a crackling fireplace
- Taking a long bubble bath with a candle flickering and a glass of wine
- A bowl of piping hot chili with cornbread on the side
- Taking pics on my cell phone of random things that make me happy
- Getting teeth cleaned by a skillful dental hygienist
- Sending a quick text to my family or friends to say I love you
- A butterfly
- A slice of key lime pie
Each day I wake up…… I am reminded of how little, I am.
I take full advantage of it.
Hope you, do, as well!