42 years ago.
And, 40 pounds ago.
Fresh and carefree, Viv Lilly, on a boat ride in the middle of a lake somewhere near Detroit.
Time zooms by; before you know it you are having hot flashes, drawing on your eyebrows, stuffing your muffin top into Spandex and telling the world unapologetically how you REALLY feel. NOBODY is safe!!
Screaming from my megaphone……..
1. Eat the friggin’ Hershey’s bar, while your metabolism is on steroids; cellulite is real and so is high cholesterol.
2. Stop being so sensitive about being liked by everybody. It really won’t matter down the road; you’ll weed out who matters most. Be in tune with your instincts. Have an opinion; if someone doesn’t agree and gets mad, it speaks to their character. Screw ’em.
3. Keep having fun and doing things that make you happy; most don’t have money or status connected to it. Little things count, a lot. Finish what you start.
4. Always be true to yourself; fake fizzles out. The mirror never lies!
5. You really don’t know it all, little girl. You will make mistakes. It’s okay. Ask questions, humble yourself and understand the act of apologizing. Be nice.
6. Your first job won’t be your last. And, your first breakup won’t be the end of the world. You will fall in and out of love and live to tell it.
7. Every question doesn’t have an answer. Let some things go; being over-analytical is toxic.
8. Don’t be insecure about your skinny legs; they will fill out.
9. Learn how to be still and enjoy your own company. You don’t need an entourage to go with you to the movies or CVS.
10. Keep washing your face with Noxema and don’t go to bed with makeup on. Also, take care of your teeth so that you have a tooth in your head decades from now.
11. Keep laughing loudly and bear hugging folks around the neck.
12. Underwire bras with thick straps will replace flimsy ones that can’t hold a half-cup of peas.
13. Never leave home naked, without big, sparkly earrings and bangles. They will always be your go-to accessories.
14. Don’t place your value on A pluses or C minuses or superficial accolades. You’ll win some. You’ll lose some. But, you are never a loser! The honor roll of kindness is more important.
15. Dance more; who cares what you look like. Stop practicing in the closet.
16. Learn how to swim; you will become a beach bum and connect with nature.
17. Let your hair blow in the wind; don’t worry about it getting messed up.
18. You will experience many things in life that will teach you many things. Watch and listen; shut your pie hole. The elders know what they’re talking about. What you don’t understand now, you will one day.
19. Never forgot where you came from; it holds your DNA and the mosaic of your life.
20. Continue to love and express yourself creatively.